Its been a busy two weeks. My son, Mikey, graduated from Newman University in Wichita Kansas. I haven’t had much time to work on the trailer. But, I have made some progress.
The trailer frame has been sanded and painted for the most part. I have drilled the holes for mounting the floor and floor supports. The original plans called for the use of two 4×8 sheets of plywood. Since the trailer is 5 feet wide, the plywood would be cut and glued together to fit the frame. Splines and glue were used to hold the pieces together. The result was fairly fragile. The author then placed the entire floor on the frame and bolted it in place. I used Baltic birch plywood instead. Baltic birch plywood is 5 x 5 feet. I cut the two pieces to length and plan to use wood biscuits for strength and to align the two edges. The joint falls over the middle frame support. The bottom of the floor must be coated with roofing coating to make it waterproof before attaching it to the frame and then insulated before the walls are attached. Since the trailer will not fit in my garage, the final assembly of the floor will wait until the walls are ready to be attached.
I built the walls using floor underlayment. My trailer will not be painted. It will be covered with fiberglass panels for looks and strength. The walls were assembled laying in my driveway with brads and glue. It was insulated with foam insulation board. Here is a picture of the curbside wall containing the door.
You can see where the door will be. The window framing has not be installed yet. The original window was 15 x 30 inches. I wrote the supplier and never heard back from him. So I ordered windows from another supplier. These windows are 15 x 24 inches. I am waiting for them to arrive before finishing the framing.
The picture gives you the general shape of the trailer. Standing room in the front two-thirds and sitting room in the last one-third.